- July 25, 2020 7:00:00 AM Greenwich Mean Time
- Hvolsvollur, Iceland
- 200, 100 and 45 kilometers
Registration opens on September 23rd for the generic public at 12:01 GMT. Invitation codes are for early registration of previous year's participants. We look forward to have you all over!
You can confirm your registration by checking the starters link. If you register and dont see your name show up there within 30 minutes contacts us.
The Rift is an off-road bike race through the dark lava fields in the highlands of Iceland. It traverses the continental rift between North America and Eurasia - a rift that grow one inch every year. The growth is evident with vast lava fields all around creating a sureal landscape. A landscape that is remote, rugged and unpredictatble.
The course starts out of a small town along the southern coast called Hvolsvöllur. This incredible shoreline stretches from the greater Reykjavík area in the west to the magnificent Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon in the east and is lined with countless natural wonders such as cascading waterfalls, volcanoes, black sand beaches and glaciers.
The route circumnavigates one of the most active volcanos on the island, Mt. Hekla.
OFFICIAL RIFT MERCH
1. What is the course like? The course is 90% dirt. The soil surface varies from packed and fast to loose and sandy. There will be several river and stream crossings which can be tricky. Water can be ankle high in spots. The first 3rd of the course is all climbing. There are two very steep (but short) climbs that you might expect to walk. The second 1/3 of the course is rolling to flat and the last 1/3 is mostly downhill.
2. What bike should I bring? The Lauf True Grit was made for Icelandic gravel performance and is the one we recommed, but any gravel bike or hardtail mountain bike will perform great on this course.
3. Can I rent a bike in Iceland? The avaibaility of rental bikes is very limited. We suggest to make arrangements to travel with your bike.
4. What will the weather be like? It is Iceland and the weather can be unpredictable. There could be strong winds, sideways rain or sunny sky's. Plan that your feet will get wet for sure. If you have an issue with this, bring extra wool socks.
NOTE! There are NO REFUNDS! We begin planning, permitting, and purchasing items for this event well in advance based on your pre-registration. Therefore we have a strict no refund policy. Be aware when you decide to register. We feel like our flexible transfer and change policies should accommodate most people and situations.