- July 27, 2019 8:00:00 AM Greenwich Mean Time
- Austurvegur 14, 860 Hvolsvöllur, Iceland
- 200 and 70 kilometers
Pricing: 200k route $250 70k route $150
Limit 250 (except PRO)
Openings : 200 K -14 Spots remaining, 70 K - 15 Spots remaining
Once a category is closed sign up on the wait list. You will be notified if an opening occurs with a link to pay.
Need to transfer an entry? Use the TRANSFER TOOL HERE
The Rift is an off-road bike race through the dark lava fields in the highlands of Iceland. It traverses the continental rift between North America and Eurasia - a rift that grow one inch every year. The growth is evident with vast lava fields all around creating a sureal landscape. A landscape that is remote, rugged and unpredictatble.
The course starts out of a small town along the southern coast called Hvolsvöllur. This incredible shoreline stretches from the greater Reykjavík area in the west to the magnificent Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon in the east and is lined with countless natural wonders such as cascading waterfalls, volcanoes, black sand beaches and glaciers.
The route circumnavigates one of the most active volcanos on the island, Mt. Hekla.
1. What is the course like? The course is 90% dirt. The soil surface varies from packed and fast to loose and sandy. There will be several river and stream crossings which can be tricky. Water can be ankle high in spots. The first 3rd of the course is all climbing. There are two very steep (but short) climbs that you might expect to walk. The second 1/3 of the course is rolling to flat and the last 1/3 is mostly downhill.
2. What bike should I bring? The Lauf True Grit was made for Icelandic gravel performance and is the one we recommed, but any gravel bike or hardtail mountain bike will perform great on this course.
3. What will the weather be like? It is Iceland and the weather can be unpredictable. There could be strong winds, sideways rain or sunny sky's. Plan that your feet will get wet for sure. If you have an issue with this, bring extra wool socks.
NOTE! There are NO REFUNDS! We begin planning, permitting, and purchasing items for this event well in advance based on your pre-registration. Therefore we have a strict no refund policy. Be aware when you decide to register. We feel like our flexible transfer and change policies should accommodate most people and situations.
The registration company LAPIO, offers event insurance through a 3rd party insurance company. GRO Races, nor LAUF are responsible for the processing of any claims. If you choose this option all claims go through LAPIO.